19 February 2013

It's a start!


I have started this blog with the aim of recording my adventures and comments related to my amateur radio adventures in South Africa.

My wife and I live in an area called Fourways in the Northern suburbs of Johannesburg in the province of Gauteng. We live in a very nice 'gated community' called Cedar Lakes. Our garden apartment is quite small and has a flat roof. For the past few months I have been experimenting with different stealth antennas. These have worked to some extent but the QRM levels are very high. Two weekends ago I travelled to the Manyane Camp ground in the Pilanesbery National park. There I set up a 1D operation (single op QRP) and participated in the SARL Field Day. I was absolutely amazed at how quiet the band was and it was an absolute pleasure to operate there.

I returned back to Fourways and resolved to focus on my QRP-to-the-field operations and to enjoy the wonderful outdoors that South Africa has to offer at the same time. 

During the field day operations I was lucky enough to make a QSO with ZS6A OM Pierre. I was delighted to learn that Pierre is also a QRP enthusiast. I have subsequently received some great tips from Pierre and suggestions of possible parks and picnic spots within reach of the Joburg area. I am very grateful to ZS6A for all his help.

No comments:

Post a Comment